Kathy Nelson works to promote Kansas City sports locally and nationally with the goal of attracting, retaining and facilitating sports events and organizations. She helps our bi-state region realize the economic, social and community-building benefits of sports. Nelson is one of only four female sports commission presidents in the country.
Nelson first joined the KC Sports Commission in August of 2010 as the WIN for KC Director them moved into the President & CEO of the KC Sports Commission in November 2011. Prior to joining the KC Sports Commission staff, she was an active volunteer and member of WIN for KC and the KC Sports Commission for over ten years. She was previously on the WIN for KC Advisory Board and has also been involved on the Women’s Sports Award Celebration committee. In 2010 she served as chair for the event, which featured Billie Jean King.
Prior to the KC Sports Commission, Nelson served in senior management roles in marketing, sales and promotions at Time Warner Cable and Metro Sports and held a number of roles at FOX 4/WDAF-TV in Kansas City including creative services manager, producer, reporter and editor.
Along her career path, Nelson has received numerous Telly, Emmy and cable television awards for television production, specifically sports production. She was the first woman to win a regional Emmy for the production of an NFL game in the early 2000’s. She attended Truman State University.
Nelson continues to be a featured speaker for numerous organizations such as various local city chambers, rotary clubs, universities and other miscellaneous community events. In her free time you can find Nelson volunteering in the community. She is married with two very active daughters who are also involved in volunteering and participating in their community.
Professional and Civic Activities
• Derrick Johnson’s Defend the Dream Foundation Executive Board (2013-Present)
• Chancellor’s Advisory Board for the UMKC Women’s Center (2011-Present)
• Convention Management Advisory Authority Board (2012-Present)
• National College Basketball Hall of Fame Steering Committee (2014-Present)
• Visit KC Board of Directors (2015-present)
• Kansas City Representative to the 2013 Xi-an City China Marathon
• Certified Kansas City Tourism Ambassador
• Central Exchange Member
• Olathe Public Schools Foundations Women’s Giving Circle Member
• NACWAA Member
• National Association of Sports Commission Member
• Nonprofit Connect Member
• 2015 Hotel Lodging Associations Hospitality Leadership Award
• 2014 Cadillac Lifetime Achievement Award
• 2013 Winnetonka High School Hall of Fame Inductee
• 2004 Alex George Volunteer of the Year Award, KC Sports Commission
• Numerous Emmy & Telly television production awards